Rustic Canyon Road operates between the hours of 7:00 AM & 9:00 PM daily
NO TRAVEL is permitted between the hours of 9:00 PM and 7:00 AM
Road is owned by CA State Parks and Privately
- Parking is limited at Camp Josepho. PLEASE CAR-POOL. The entire group should arrive and enter camp together (please coordinate time with Camping Registrar).
- MAXIMUM SPEED IS 10 MPH. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please plan your travel time accordingly. The trip to camp should take you, not less than 20 minutes from gate to camp. Drive in 1st gear.
- NO SMOKING at any time on the road.
- The road is open to hikers, bicyclists, dogs and all others please extend the same courtesies you would like to receive. Drivers must always drive with caution to ensure their safety, the safety of passengers and others using the road. Drivers must stay to the right. Watch the blind curves.
- Vehicles and bicyclists coming uphill, have the right of way. Drivers must reduce speed, pull over, and STOP when approached by oncoming uphill traffic (it is always recommended that you stop when a bicyclist approaches).
- Drivers are obligated to report any observations of negligence to the Camping Department as soon as possible and to report accidents and legal violations to the Police Department.
Driving Directions from 405 Freeway
- Take the 405 San Diego Freeway and exit at Sunset Blvd
- Take Sunset Blvd. west toward the beach. (The freeway exit might lead to another street, follow the signs until you get to Sunset and take it toward the ocean).
- You’ll travel on Sunset for just over 3 miles.
- From Sunset Blvd. turn right on Capri Drive.
- You will get to a round-about. Take it around until you find Capri Drive again, it will be a near straight continuation.
- Stay on Capri Drive until the end and turn left on to Casale Road.
- Casale will curve around the hill and turn into a dirt road.
- You will come to a gate to enter Sullivan Fire Road. The road is gated with regularly changed gate codes required for access.
- The fire road is open to hikers and cyclists. There are a number of blind curves on the road, and, for safety, drivers must extend courtesies to other people on the road. The speed limit on the road is 10 m.p.h.
- Drive on Sullivan Fire road for about 1.8 miles.
- The entrance to Camp Josepho Boy Scout Camp will be on your left, marked by a wooden arch.
- Turn left and drive down the road to the camp at the bottom of the hill.
- Park as directed
Driving Directions from the PCH Side
If you are coming from the PCH side of the world, get on Sunset going east toward Brentwood. You can take Sunset from PCH or take the Temescal or Chataqua short cut to Sunset from PCH. Once on Sunset drive until you get to Capri Drive and turn left. Then follow the Driving Directions above from that point on!
All drivers into Camp Josepho are required to send a completed road waiver form to the Council office before driving into camp. We request that you arrange car pooling if at all possible (parking is limited in camp).